Current Research Interests
Acoustic Waves, Acoustic Metamaterials
Dr. Ma’s studies classical wave physics. His focus is on acoustic waves and elastic waves. The topics of interests include acoustic metamaterials, elastic metamaterials, phononic crystals, wavefield shaping, non-Hermitian wave system, etc.
Some of Dr. Ma’s research achievements are:
- The development of membrane-type acoustic metamaterials with various extreme properties;
- The development of resonant elastic metamaterials, in particular, the first experimental realization of the elastic property of fluid in fully solid composite materials;
- The first experimental observation of geometric phase of Bloch bands in acoustics;
- The first experimental study of high-order (>2) exceptional points in any physical system.
- Realization of the first “spatial sound modulators” capable of active re-shaping of complex sound field.
- Ze-Guo Chen, Weiyuan Tang, Ruo-Yang Zhang, Zhaoxian Chen, Guancong Ma†, "Landau-Zener Transition in the Dynamic Transfer of Acoustic Topological States," Physical Review Letters 126, 054301 (2021).
- Ze-Guo Chen, Weiwei Zhu, Yang Tan, Licheng Wang, Guancong Ma†, "Acoustic Realization of a Four-Dimensional Higher-Order Chern Insulator and Boundary-Modes Engineering", Physical Review X 11, 011016 (2021).
- Weiyuan Tang, Xue Jiang, Kun Ding†, Yi-Xin Xiao, Zhao-Qing Zhang, C. T. Chan, Guancong Ma†, "Exceptional Nexus with a Hybrid Topological Invariant," Science 370, 1077 (2020).
- Ze-Guo Chen, Licheng Wang, Guanqing Zhang, Guancong Ma†, "Chiral Symmetry Breaking of Tight-Binding Models in Coupled Acoustic-Cavity Systems," Physical Review Applied 14, 024023 (2020).
- Weiwei Zhu, Guancong Ma†, "Distinguishing topological corner modes in higher-order topological insulators of finite size," Physical Review B 101, 161301(R) (2020).
- Changqing Xu, Guancong Ma†, Ze-Guo Chen, Jie Luo, Jinjie Shi, Yun Lai, Ying Wu, "Three-Dimensional Acoustic Double-Zero-Index Medium with a Fourfold Degenerate Dirac-like Point," Physical Review Letters 124, 074501 (2020).
- Guancong Ma†§, Meng Xiao§, C. T. Chan, "Topological Phases in Acoustic and Mechanical Systems," Nature Reviews Physics (2019).
- Kun Ding, Guancong Ma†, Zhao-Qing Zhang, C. T. Chan, “Experimental Demonstration of an Anisotropic Exceptional Point,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 121, 085702 (2018).
- Guancong Ma†, Xiying Fan, Ping Sheng, Mathias Fink, “Shaping Reverberating Sound Fields with an Actively Tunable Metasurface,” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 115, 6638 (2018).
- Guancong Ma†, Xiying Fan, Fuyin Ma, Julien de Rosny, Ping Sheng, Mathias Fink, “Towards Anti-Causal Green’s Function for Three-Dimensional Sub-Diffraction Focusing,” Nat. Phys. 14, 608 (2018).
- Shubo Wang§, Guancong Ma§, C. T. Chan, “Topological Transport of Sound Mediated by Spin-Redirection Geometric Phase,” Sci. Adv. 4, eaaq1475 (2018).
- Yi-Xin Xiao§, Guancong Ma§, Zhao-Qing Zhang, C. T. Chan, "Topological Subspace-Induced Bound State in the Continuum", Phys. Rev. Lett. 118, 166803 (2017).
- Guancong Ma§†, Caixing Fu§, Guanghao Wang, Philipp del Hougne, Johan Christensen, Yun Lai, Ping Sheng, “Polarization Bandgaps and Fluid-like Elasticity in Fully Solid Elastic Metamaterials”, Nat. Commun. 7, 13536 (2016).
- Kun Ding§, Guancong Ma§, Meng Xiao, Zhao-Qing Zhang, C. T. Chan, “Emergence, Coalescence, and Topological Properties of Multiple Exceptional Points and Their Experimental Realization”, Phys. Rev. X 6, 021007 (2016).
- Guancong Ma†, Ping Sheng, “Acoustic Metamaterials: From Local Resonances to Broad Horizons”, Sci. Adv. 2, e1501595 (2016).
- Meng Xiao§, Guancong Ma§, Zhiyu Yang, Ping Sheng, Zhao-Qing Zhang, C. T. Chan, “Geometric Phase and Band Inversion in Periodic Acoustic Systems”, Nat. Phys. 11, 240 (2015).
- Guancong Ma§, Min Yang§, Songwen Xiao, Zhiyu Yang, Ping Sheng, “Acoustic Metasurface with Hybrid Resonances”, Nat. Mater. 13, 873 (2014).
- Min Yang§, Guancong Ma§, Zhiyu Yang, Ping Sheng, “Coupled Membranes with Doubly Negative Mass Density and Bulk Modulus”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 134301 (2013).
† corresponding author; § equal contribution.