Dr MA, Guancong, 馬冠聰博士
M.Phil. and Ph.D., Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
B. S. South China University of Technology
Current Research Interests
Acoustic Waves, Acoustic Metamaterials
Dr. Ma’s studies classical wave physics. His focus is on acoustic waves and elastic waves. The topics of interests include acoustic metamaterials, elastic metamaterials, phononic crystals, wavefield shaping, non-Hermitian wave system, etc.
Some of Dr. Ma’s research achievements are:
- The development of membrane-type acoustic metamaterials with various extreme properties;
- The development of resonant elastic metamaterials, in particular, the first experimental realization of the elastic property of fluid in fully solid composite materials;
- The first experimental observation of geometric phase of Bloch bands in acoustics;
- The first experimental study of high-order (>2) exceptional points in any physical system.
- Realization of the first “spatial sound modulators” capable of active re-shaping of complex sound field.
- Yuanchen Deng, Wladimir A. Benalcazar†, Ze-Guo Chen, Mourad Oudich, Guancong Ma†, Yun Jing†, "Observation of Degenerate Zero-Energy Topological States at Disclinations in an Acoustic Lattice," Physical Review Letters 128, 174301 (2022).
- Xu-Lin Zhang†, Feng Yu, Ze-Guo Chen, Zhen-Nan Tian†, Qi-Dai Chen, Hong-Bo Sun†, Guancong Ma†, "Non-Abelian Brading on Photonic Chips," Nature Photonics 16, 390 (2022).
- Tuo Liu, Shuowei An, Zhongming Gu, Shanjun Liang, He Gao, Guancong Ma, Jie Zhu†, "Chirality-Switchable Acoustic Vortex Emission via Non-Hermitian Selective Excitation at an Exceptional Point," Science Bulletin 2022.
- Qiyuan Wang, Philipp del Hougne, and Guancong Ma†, "Controlling the Spatiotemporal Response of Transient Reverberating Sound," Physical Review Applied 17, 044007 (2022).
- Weiyuan Tang, Kun Ding†, Guancong Ma†, "Experimental Realization of Non-Abelian Permutations in a Three-State Non-Hermitian System," National Science Review nwac010 (2022).
- Ze-Guo Chen, Ruo-Yang Zhang, C. T. Chan, Guancong Ma†, "Classical Non-Abelian Brading of Acoustic Modes," Nature Physics 18, 179 (2022).
- Wei Wang, Ze-Guo Chen, Guancong Ma†, "Synthetic Three-Dimensional ℤ×ℤ2 Topological Insulator in an Elastic Metacrystal," Physical Review Letters 127, 214302 (2021).
- Shubo Wang†, Guanqing Zhang, Xulong Wang, Qing Tong, Jensen Li, Guancong Ma†, “Spin-Orbit Interactions of Transverse Sound,” Nature Communications 12, 6125 (2021).
- Xiao Li§, Shiqiao Wu§, Guanqing Zhang, Wanzhu Cai, Jack Ng, Guancong Ma†, "Measurement of Corner-Mode Coupling in Acoustic Higher-Order Topological Insulators," Frontiers in Physics 9, 770589 (2021).
- Wei Wang, Yang Tan, Bin Liang†, Guancong Ma, Shubo Wang, Jianchun Cheng, “Generalized Momentum Conservation and Fedorov-Imbert Linear Shift of Acoustic Vortex Beams at a Metasurface,” Physical Review B 104, 174301 (2021).
- Hongchen Chu, Ze-Guo Chen†, Yun Lai†, Guancong Ma†, “Wave Steering by Relaying Interface States in a Valley-Hall-Derived Photonic Superlattice,” Physical Review Applied 16, 044006 (2021).
- Xiao Li, Pengqi Li, Ming-Hui Lu, Mathias Fink†, Guancong Ma†, "Negative Transient Flux in the Near Field of a Subwavelength Source," Physical Review Applied 16, L011004 (2021).
- Weiyuan Tang, Kun Ding†, Guancong Ma†, "Direct Measurement of Topological Properties of an Exceptional Parabola," Physical Review Letters 127, 034301 (2021).
- Changqing Xu, Ze-Guo Chen, Guanqing Zhang, Guancong Ma†, Ying Wu†, "Multi-Dimensional Wave Steering with Higher-Order Topological Phononic Crystal," Science Bulletin 66, 1740 (2021).
- Ze-Guo Chen, Weiyuan Tang, Ruo-Yang Zhang, Zhaoxian Chen, Guancong Ma†, "Landau-Zener Transition in the Dynamic Transfer of Acoustic Topological States," Physical Review Letters 126, 054301 (2021).
- Ze-Guo Chen, Weiwei Zhu, Yang Tan, Licheng Wang, Guancong Ma†, "Acoustic Realization of a Four-Dimensional Higher-Order Chern Insulator and Boundary-Modes Engineering", Physical Review X 11, 011016 (2021).
- Weiyuan Tang, Xue Jiang, Kun Ding†, Yi-Xin Xiao, Zhao-Qing Zhang, C. T. Chan, Guancong Ma†, "Exceptional Nexus with a Hybrid Topological Invariant," Science 370, 1077 (2020).
- Ze-Guo Chen, Licheng Wang, Guanqing Zhang, Guancong Ma†, "Chiral Symmetry Breaking of Tight-Binding Models in Coupled Acoustic-Cavity Systems," Physical Review Applied 14, 024023 (2020).
- Weiwei Zhu, Guancong Ma†, "Distinguishing topological corner modes in higher-order topological insulators of finite size," Physical Review B 101, 161301(R) (2020).
- Changqing Xu, Guancong Ma†, Ze-Guo Chen, Jie Luo, Jinjie Shi, Yun Lai, Ying Wu, "Three-Dimensional Acoustic Double-Zero-Index Medium with a Fourfold Degenerate Dirac-like Point," Physical Review Letters 124, 074501 (2020).
- Guancong Ma†§, Meng Xiao§, C. T. Chan, "Topological Phases in Acoustic and Mechanical Systems," Nature Reviews Physics (2019).
- Kun Ding, Guancong Ma†, Zhao-Qing Zhang, C. T. Chan, “Experimental Demonstration of an Anisotropic Exceptional Point,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 121, 085702 (2018).
- Guancong Ma†, Xiying Fan, Ping Sheng, Mathias Fink, “Shaping Reverberating Sound Fields with an Actively Tunable Metasurface,” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 115, 6638 (2018).
- Guancong Ma†, Xiying Fan, Fuyin Ma, Julien de Rosny, Ping Sheng, Mathias Fink, “Towards Anti-Causal Green’s Function for Three-Dimensional Sub-Diffraction Focusing,” Nat. Phys. 14, 608 (2018).
- Shubo Wang§, Guancong Ma§, C. T. Chan, “Topological Transport of Sound Mediated by Spin-Redirection Geometric Phase,” Sci. Adv. 4, eaaq1475 (2018).
- Yi-Xin Xiao§, Guancong Ma§, Zhao-Qing Zhang, C. T. Chan, "Topological Subspace-Induced Bound State in the Continuum", Phys. Rev. Lett. 118, 166803 (2017).
- Guancong Ma§†, Caixing Fu§, Guanghao Wang, Philipp del Hougne, Johan Christensen, Yun Lai, Ping Sheng, “Polarization Bandgaps and Fluid-like Elasticity in Fully Solid Elastic Metamaterials”, Nat. Commun. 7, 13536 (2016).
- Kun Ding§, Guancong Ma§, Meng Xiao, Zhao-Qing Zhang, C. T. Chan, “Emergence, Coalescence, and Topological Properties of Multiple Exceptional Points and Their Experimental Realization”, Phys. Rev. X 6, 021007 (2016).
- Guancong Ma†, Ping Sheng, “Acoustic Metamaterials: From Local Resonances to Broad Horizons”, Sci. Adv. 2, e1501595 (2016).
- Meng Xiao§, Guancong Ma§, Zhiyu Yang, Ping Sheng, Zhao-Qing Zhang, C. T. Chan, “Geometric Phase and Band Inversion in Periodic Acoustic Systems”, Nat. Phys. 11, 240 (2015).
- Guancong Ma§, Min Yang§, Songwen Xiao, Zhiyu Yang, Ping Sheng, “Acoustic Metasurface with Hybrid Resonances”, Nat. Mater. 13, 873 (2014).
- Min Yang§, Guancong Ma§, Zhiyu Yang, Ping Sheng, “Coupled Membranes with Doubly Negative Mass Density and Bulk Modulus”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 134301 (2013).
† corresponding author; § equal contribution.